A Luxurious Delight for Your Palate
If you’re in the mood for a gourmet dessert that’s equal parts indulgent and elegant, our Classic Crème Brûlée is the perfect choice. This quintessential French dessert, with its rich, creamy custard base and that signature crisp caramelized sugar top, is a timeless favorite for a reason. Join us as we delve into the art of creating this luxurious delight that’s sure to impress.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 vanilla bean (or 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract)
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Extra granulated sugar for caramelizing
- Preheat the Oven: To begin, preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Prepare Ramekins: Arrange 4 to 6 ramekins (depending on their size) in a deep baking dish, setting the stage for the delicious masterpiece.
- Infuse the Cream:
- In a saucepan, combine the heavy cream and whole milk.
- If you have a vanilla bean, split it lengthwise, scrape the seeds, and add both the seeds and the pod to the cream. If you prefer vanilla extract, you can add it later.
- Gently warm the cream mixture over medium heat, making sure not to bring it to a boil. Once it’s warm, remove it from the heat and let it steep for about 15- 20 minutes. If you’re using vanilla extract, it’s time to add it.
- Prepare the Custard:
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and granulated sugar together until the mixture becomes pale and slightly thickened.
- Remove the vanilla pod (if you used one) from the cream mixture. Slowly pour the cream mixture into the egg yolks while continuously whisking, ensuring a smooth, silky custard without any curdling.
- Fill the Ramekins:
- Pour the custard mixture into the waiting ramekins, each one ready to embrace the velvety custard.
- Bake in a Water Bath:
- Place the baking dish with the ramekins in the preheated oven. Pour hot water into the baking dish, creating a gentle water bath that reaches about halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
- Now, let the magic happen. Bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the custard is set but retains a delightful jiggle in the center.
- Cool and Chill:
- Once the custard’s journey in the oven is complete, remove the ramekins from the water bath and allow them to cool gracefully at room temperature.
- When they’ve cooled, provide them with a cozy cover of plastic wrap, and let them rest in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or, even better, overnight.
- Caramelize the Sugar:
- The grand finale happens just before serving.
- Sprinkle a delicate, even layer of granulated sugar on top of each custard.
- It’s time for the pièce de résistance. With a kitchen torch, artfully caramelize the sugar until it reaches a golden brown hue and transforms into a delicate, crispy top. Don’t have a torch? Fear not; you can place the ramekins under the broiler until the sugar performs its caramelizing dance.
- Allow the caramelized sugar a moment to gracefully set and then serve your Classic Crème Brûlée. Dive into a world where creamy custard meets the enchanting crispness of caramel. A luxurious delight that elevates your dessert experience.
The Classic Crème Brûlée is a dessert for the connoisseur, offering a harmonious blend of textures and flavors that is nothing short of a masterpiece. Whether you’re treating yourself to a moment of culinary luxury or impressing guests with your gourmet prowess, this is a dessert that never disappoints.